Shopping online from Japan has become increasingly popular in recent years. With its cutting-edge technology, kawaii culture, unique fashions and products, Japan offers a treasure trove of cool and quirky items you simply can't find anywhere else.
Buying directly from Japanese online stores provides access to the latest trends. However, navigating international shipping and payments can be daunting for first-timers. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know to shop like a pro from Japan.
How to buy things from Japan: A Beginner's Guide
Purchasing items from Japan as an international customer is easier now than ever before thanks to global shipping and increased English support on many shopping sites. Here are some tips for getting started:
Find a proxy buying service
Using a proxy buying service allows you to browse and purchase from Japanese sites that may not ship overseas or accept foreign credit cards. Popular proxies include Janbox, Buyee, ZenMarket. These services give you a Japanese address to ship to, then forward the items internationally to you for a fee.
Open a PayPal account
Many Japanese sites accept PayPal, which lets you pay in various currencies without overseas transaction fees. Be sure to verify your account first for smooth payments.
Get a virtual prepaid card
A virtual prepaid card like Payoneer can act as a credit card on Japanese sites. You add funds in your own currency to the card balance before shopping.
Use Google Translate
Run web pages through Google Translate to browse Japanese sites in English. The translations aren't perfect but can help you navigate and order.
Calculate additional fees
Remember to account for proxy service fees, international shipping, customs duties and taxes for a full cost estimate.
With the right tools, buying directly from your favorite Japanese stores is easy. Just take it slow your first time until you get the hang of it.
List Japanese online shopping sites for buying goods
From anime figurines toBeauty tutorials, Japanese online shops offer endless variety. Here are 5 great sites to browse:
- Rakuten is one of the largest online shopping platforms in Japan.
- It offers a wide range of products from fashion and electronics to groceries and cosmetics.
- User reviews and ratings make product selection easier.
2. Amazon Japan
- Amazon Japan is a localized version of the popular global e-commerce giant.
- It provides a vast selection of products and fast delivery services.
- Suitable for both expats living in Japan and those looking to purchase Japanese products internationally.
3. Yahoo! Japan Shopping
- Yahoo! Japan Shopping is a major and diverse online shopping platform closely integrated with Yahoo! Japan's search service.
- Offers various promotions and attractive deals.
- Zozotown specializes in fashion and is a dedicated platform for Japanese fashion enthusiasts.
- Known for its diverse range of Japanese fashion brands.
- Mercari is a popular online marketplace in Japan where you can buy and sell a wide range of used and new items.
- It's a great platform to find unique and second-hand goods at affordable prices.
>>> Read more: Compare top 7 Japanese e-commerce platforms
Foreign customers can fully immerse themselves in the world of Japanese e-commerce products through a single platform, Janbox, https://ezbuy.jp/en/services/cross-border-ecommerce. We have integrated 6 languages and 10 currencies to serve customers all over the world. You can easily access and shop for millions of products from sunrise, no matter where you are.
Popular Japanese souvenirs and gifts to buy online
Looking for the perfect Japanese gift or souvenir? These popular items make great keepsakes from your virtual trip to Japan and are easy to buy online.
Japanese snacks, candies, and teas make inexpensive but appreciated gifts. Try matcha kit kats, senbei rice crackers, Pocky, Ramune soda, and green tea.
Elegant lacquered chopsticks or branded Japanese chopsticks from Muji or Tokyo 2020 make useful gifts. Go for extra fancy with mother of pearl or lacquerware pairs.
These lightweight cotton kimonos are beautiful yet casual wear. Choose vibrant colors and patterns to channel Japanese summer vibes.
Furoshiki cloths, tenugui towels, and sensu folding fans display gorgeous Japanese textile designs. Lightweight and easy to pack.
Japan makes the cutest notebooks, pens, and office supplies. Pick up washi tape, memo pads, stickers, and more for kawaii gifts.
From Studio Ghibli totems to Pokémon plushies, Japanese anime and manga memorabilia make treasured gifts for fans.
J-beauty skincare and makeup like lip tints, cleansers, sheet masks and eyeliners make great Japanese beauty gifts.
Tips for finding the best deals when buying from Japan
While buying from Japan gives you access to unique goods, the best deals take some strategizing:
- Compare prices across sites as pricing can vary widely on the same item.
- Sign up for newsletters and create user accounts to get site coupons and loyalty discounts.
- Follow Japanese retailers on social media for flash sale alerts before items sell out.
- Avoid excessive shipping fees by consolidating orders from a single retailer or proxy service.
- Shop during peak Japanese sale seasons like summer clearance sales in July/August and New Year sales in January.
- Buy used or secondhand items in excellent condition for a fraction of retail prices.
- Watch preorder windows for limited edition drops of new anime merchandise to secure hot releases.
- Buy in bulk for popular everyday Japanese products to maximize value on shipping costs.
- Check auction sites like Yahoo! Japan Auctions for open-box, secondhand, or auction deals.
With the right shopping strategies, you can land awesome Japanese goods at surprisingly affordable prices. Just focus on what you really want and shop around for the best bargains.
In this article, we've explored how and where to buy from Japan. Buying items from Japan has never been easier, thanks to the support of e-commerce platforms like Janbox from Ezbuy Japan, allowing you to enjoy the diversity of the Japanese market all in one place.
Explore the unique and diverse world of Japanese products and step into the international shopping arena with ease, supported by Ezbuy and Janbox. Wishing you memorable and satisfying shopping experiences!